But in my quest to find cheap dinners I came across a beautiful meatloaf recipe - yes you heard right. And it is even more beautiful with cheese on toasted sandwiches the next day.
So why not give the old meatloaf another chance....
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Combine mince, sausage meat, breadcrumbs, onion, curry powder, parsley and egg. Season.
- Mix in milk and 1/4 cup water
- Shape into a loaf in a baking pan. Top with red onion wedges.
- Bake for 30 mins
- To make the sauce: heat oil and cook onion and garlic until softened. Add remaining ingredients and salt to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins until it is reduced by half.
- Remove meatloaf from the oven and pour off fat from the pan.
- Brush half the sauce over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 35-40mins, glazing with the sauce once or twice during cooking.
I have made a couple of variations.
- I use 1 full red onion for the wedges on top.
- And I double the sauce and keep some to drizzle over the meatloaf when I serve it.
This is the original recipe so I will let you play with it.
Sorry there are no photos. Though it may taste different to the meatloaf of old, it still looks like a piece of dog turd.